RSS

I’ll never have enough time to read all the books I want to read.

29 Apr

Photo courtesy of Sarah Horrigan

When I was little I always enjoyed getting lost in a book. It was always a new adventure, and I’d jump in head first. And only when that adventure was over I’d go looking for a new one. Every book was a whole new world waiting for me. There was nothing better than getting home from school, kicking my shoes off, and grabbing a book to read. If it was sunny I’d go sit outside with my book, my best friend. It was a great time, one where my only responsibility was to get good grades and learn new things.

Funny fact: I had a small blue suitcase I used to fill with books to take to the beach with me for our summer vacation. Who needs toys when you can have books, right?

Now things are different. Work provides me with money needed for bills and food. That seems to be my top priority. Not that I wouldn’t like to get lost in a book on a sunny afternoon at the park, but it feels nice to have food on the table, you know. And books became the friends I see only occasionally late at night before falling asleep or on a weekend.

But my biggest problem is not the lack of time but the fact that I keep jumping from one book to the other. I’m always reading two or three books at a time. When do we graduate from reading one book at a time to this ADD habit of having to read more than one? It’s like my brain can’t be happy with just one. Sometimes I’m in the mood for a novel, sometimes I want a short story. Sometimes I want something that will make me think, at others I just want something that will make me laugh. It all depends on how my day went, how my mood is at the moment, and how much time I have to devote to reading today.

How about you? Do you also read more than one book at a time? Do you also carry a book with you wherever you go? Do you carry more than one, just in case?

About these ads

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 responses to “I’ll never have enough time to read all the books I want to read.

1. hobee1971

April 29, 2012 at 10:31 am

Sometimes I have several going, but right now I’m concentrating on The Girl Who Played With Fire. At one point I worked two jobs and had a book at each workplace, one in the car and one at home. I always had something to read even if I forgot to pick one up when I left where ever I may be. Now, I only work one job, but have made writing and art a priority so reading is relegated to lunchtime and occasionally on a weekend. I too wish I could just check out sometimes. Get off the carousel and spend the day with a book and a very quiet room.

• RedheadCarol

April 29, 2012 at 10:35 am

It’s so nice to know I’m not the only one. I also keep a book in the car, just in case.

2. mouse555

April 29, 2012 at 10:41 am

I’ve always read 2/3 books at one time, even when I was younger. It’s like you said, what I read is dependent on my mood. I have such eclectic tastes so am never fully satisfied with just one genre.
    Also, like you said, when I was a kid, I was happy with a roomful of books and my CD player. I didn’t have or want my own TV in my bedroom until I hit my late teens (thanks to Buffy coming on TV). I would while away the hours with music and words… pretty much like I do today!

• RedheadCarol

April 29, 2012 at 11:20 am

Yeah, right? It’s so hard to read just one book at a time. We’re not always in the mood for the same story and a break is always welcomed. I guess some people take breaks by not reading, I take breaks by reading something different. :P

• mouse555

April 29, 2012 at 1:09 pm

exactly!!

3. muchacha3

April 29, 2012 at 10:45 am

I LOVED his post! Took me back to my days of reading after school or spending hours in the library..Plus one of my favorite shows is Gilmore Girls…nice touch!
    I certainly do agree though. I used to have all my free time left for my nose to be dug in a book now I feel guilty if I have other studying I should be doing or another shift I could have picked up.
    Yet when I am in the middle of a book I’ve always got that sucker in my hand! I usually don’t have several books going because I also have several textbooks to keep track of as well. I’m hoping after college I can invest myself again.

• RedheadCarol

April 29, 2012 at 11:24 am

I almost added a lot of Gilmore Girls pictures. But then I’d get lost talking about the show and Rory’s passion for books, so I decided not to.
      You also feel guilty about reading instead of doing other things? Cool, I do that all the time. I honestly can’t wait (actually I can, but you know what I mean) to be retired and have enough free time to read without feeling guilty.

4. Grey Street Girl

April 29, 2012 at 3:53 pm

The whole Kindle thing makes it so easy to have several books going at once too. Sadly, I have about 10 books I’m midway through. Like you said, it’s hard to find the time. I go in spurts though. One week, I’ll finish a 2-3 books. But then it’ll be a couple months before I pick up another. One thing that helps is listening to audio books during a commute, if you have a commute time. That is, unless the narrator has a terrible voice and then that only helps give you a headache.

• RedheadCarol

April 29, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I’m thinking about buying a kindle so I won’t have to carry so many books with me all the time. But I do love turning the pages and all, so I’m a bit reluctant. I’ve tried audio books but they didn’t work for me. My problem with audio books is that I get distracted (because I’m driving) and miss a bit of information, and that drives me crazy. :)

5. rodalena

April 29, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I read while I’m cooking (which is problematic at times, but I’m getting better), while I’m blow drying my hair, while I’m proctoring my children’s seat work (I’m a homeschooling mom), in my spare time, while folding the laundry, while waiting in line, when I should be doing something else, and when I have nothing better to do. I was going to say “when I should be doing something productive”, but what’s more productive than feeding the mind? Carry on, Carol. You’re among friends here. :)

• RedheadCarol

April 29, 2012 at 4:45 pm

You’re right, what’s more productive than feeding the mind? :)

6. artgirlnyc

April 29, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Part of the reason that I got a kindle was because I was reading too many books at one time and couldn’t carry them all. I’ve noticed that I have gotten very ADD about books in the past 2-3 years, and it makes me feel better to see that other people have that problem as well. I loved your descriptions of what reading was like for you when you were younger. I had the same experience as a kid. Enjoy reading as many books as you can, whenever you find time!

• RedheadCarol

April 29, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Thank you. And yes, I’m also very ADD with my readings.

7. GJ Scobie

May 4, 2012 at 9:29 am

I have always got two books on the go at the one time, sometimes three. I asked the same question sometime back on Twitter and it turns out it’s not unusual for book lovers. I bought a Kindle at the beginning of the year and this has helped immensely as I no longer have to carry around several books or remember which one to leave at home while I commute to work.

• RedheadCarol

May 4, 2012 at 1:57 pm

It’s really nice to know. I’m thinking about getting a kindle. It will definitely be easier on my shoulders.